Tuesday, April 16, 2013

An Experiment.... Science Friday

I am an avid reader, but I have a problem.  I don't venture out very far in my reading.  I like literary novels, classics, spiritual books that feed my soul, I love juvenile lit, and I love books on psychology, nutrition and environmentalism.  I have been trying to challenge myself to read outside of my norm.  Shortly, after challenging myself I was listening to to NPR's Science Friday (which I love) and realized that they have a book club.  I had to get in on it.  Thus, I have read the two book club reads of 2013.  The first was Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton and the second was Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey.

Andromeda Strain is not something I would generally pick up and read.  When I was in college, I really enjoyed science fiction, but since then I haven't read much in the way of science fiction.  I really enjoyed reading this book, it wasn't my favorite, but I enjoyed it.  I may of mostly relished in the fact that I was holding this book than the story.  There were moments when I was totally engaged in the story, but then it ends.  Its one of those stories that doesn't glide into the ending or let you down gently, nope, it just ends.  I left it a little bit unsatisfied, but it was fun to read a science fiction book that imagined a future in which we now live.

Gorillas in the Mist  was definitely my favorite of the two, but that might have something to do with the fact that it was closer to a book I would normally choose to read.  It is part autobiography and part textbook on gorillas.  I happened to be reading it at the same time as we were reading The One and Only Ivan as a family.  I started to fall in love with these giant animals found in the mountains of Africa.  I loved the parts of this book where she tells how she started this journey and how she studied the gorillas.  I had a harder time with the parts of the book where she was personalizing the gorillas.  That got to be a little weird to me.  But I tend to not personalize animals, others of you might love this part of it.  I had to remind myself that when she was talking about them and using names that those were names that she had given them.  I started to think about them as humans and they aren't.  It makes me wonder at her research, can one objectively research something if they are that personally involved.

Needless to say, my mind has been opened and stretched.  I have learned things I never would have thought I would have learned.  Can't wait to see what they choose for the next selections!

No comments:

Post a Comment