Friday, February 1, 2013

Silverback


The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

We LOVED this book. We could have read it in one sitting and then started over and read it all over again. Though we would have had to take a break and dry our eyes and blow our noses. It was one of those books that transcended age and gender and interests. It is the story of friendship and ingenuity. It is the story fighting for what we believe to be right in spite of the consequences.

I loved Ivan's voice, it didn't take long for me to feel as if I were sitting with Ivan, the gorilla, having a conversation, learning to see the world through his eyes. Its books like this that make me wonder. Its books like this that make me ask questions of myself and of my kids. Am I willing to go out on a limb for the good of a friend regardless of the consequences for me? Do I see injustice and fight or do I let somebody else take care of it? Great conversation starters. After it was over and I had choked out the last chapter, the kids asked if there was another book, they couldn't believe it was over, that this where the story would end. I believe any good book creates a hunger in us to read more, discover more, uncover more about ourselves and the rest of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment